This past week the Excelsior Springs SAFE (Substance Abuse Free Environments) committee met virtually via Zoom and many updates were given regarding upcoming activities the committee members will undertake. The SAFE Committee is dedicated to building a healthy future for our community and has a vested interest in impacting substance abuse in our youth.
• Excelsior Springs High School Graduation is being postponed until August 1st.
• Danielle Roethler with Clay County Public Health Department gave an update:
– Drive through testing for COVID-19 is taking place at Pleasant Valley Baptist Church
– Make an appointment before at claycohealth.gov/test and then pull up in your car to be tested
– Currently there is no plan for antibody testing at the local level. The tests currently on the market are not accurate, with a high false positive rate. They’re also not sure what to do with the results of a test. No actions have been given. Immunity is also not confirmed, not exact, because reinfection has happened. There are currently clinical trials being done on blood transfusions.
• SAFE may need lunch sponsors in the future, costing anywhere from $200-250 per luncheon. Reach out to Julia Mees if interested in being a sponsor.
• Parent Up KC will have a Facebook Live for Parents of Seniors
• ES Chamber and KH Consulting‘s Lunch with Leaders will be on Tuesday, May 12th at 12pm via Zoom. Guest speaker, Jamie Wehmeyer, will be speaking on Building Resilience for Mental Health in the Workplace, as May is Mental Health Awareness Month. If you are interested in registering, click here for more information.
• Soon the Northland Grandfamilies Strengthening Families program will be hosting virtual “Northland Parent Cafe” that will soon have $500 worth of gift cards they’ll be giving out to Excelsior Springs families! Watch for more info on their Facebook Page:
• If local churches would be interested in hosting a virtual showing of the film Resilience, the SAFE Committee would create a partnership for that to happen. Contact Julia Mees, if interested.
• There will soon be some Self Care Giveaways! Watch for those on the SAFE Committee Facebook Page!
• The Missouri Health Atlas database was shared, offering access to health statistics in our state.
If you are interested in getting involved with this committee, let me know and I’ll get you connected!
Other stories you might like: